The Barghest, debuting in TRO3060, made little headway in the minds of fans. “Okay” might be the best descriptor, with good speed and a big gun but poor heat dissipation, secondary weapons choices, and the natural problems of quads in close-quarters.
Now it’s time to meet the -7S, the one that breaks the mould. Gone is the big ballistic + 1-2 energy weapon load. Instead, we’re looking at paired LPPCs coupled with paired MVSP lasers as the primary mounts, backed up by a MML-7, Flamer, and rear-mounted MPL.
Okay, got the basics covered. Time for the mods. After stripping a second-hand Barghest mini and picking off the wads of glue, I was ready to start.
Skipping the AC was the easy part. There’s no big gun to be found on this model, so it went into the bits bin. Then came the choice of what to do for the -7S’s guns. I liked the ER LLs, and decided to use them as the LPPCs – nice long, fairly narrow barrels felt right for a light long-range gun. Cutting them apart right through the middle yielded the pair of LPPCs. Ironically enough, with lasers becoming PPCs, I ended up using PPCs as lasers, taking the ERPPC barrels from a Warhammer -9S to use as the MVSPs. One flange was cut off, and the barrel was mounted underneath our now-LPPCs.
After that, the question remained what to do for the torso weapons. I looked at a few possibilities for the flamer, including that from the 25mm Elemental, but the options on hand were too large for the space. I went for a copy of the Berserker, and made a “mouth” for the flamer to fire from. It, along with the MML and MPL were built from greenstuff.
The photo above shows the basic form for the MML and the barrels for the LPPC/MVSP combo stuck together. Along the way I decided to alter the static pose of the mini and did some mods to the front legs to facilitate this: the right leg’s toes are bent down after making a cut in the underside of the foot, while the left leg has been cut at the knee and shifted to a straighter position. Now for the booty shot:
Once the parts were roughed out it was a matter of cleaning them up and making the details. It took a couple tries to get the MML tubes to fit right, but in the end I was happy with them. And yes, I know the “keyhole” tubes wouldn’t really work, but that’s the look for MMLs so that’s what I went with. Once you figure out FTL travel we’ll worry about missile tubes.
Oh yeah, it’s “mouth”…
As I said, not much room there to work with, but a few triangles for teeth give a playful nod to its claimed aesthetics as being as fearsome looking as the Atlas or Berserker.
Assembly did require some creative support while the glue set. Blu-tak is my friend. On-the-fly photography is not. Oh well, an in-focus pic from that angle will have to wait until it’s painted…